Saturday, May 21, 2011

Unintended rewards














Sunny Day Farms is a rehab or farm animal shelter of sorts that takes in goats, horses, pigs and jackasses to name a few.  I attended a homesteading festival which included rain catchment design and installment demonstrations as well as an aquaponics irrigation system that uses minimal electricity. Later in the day was a permaculture introduction demonstration, which I skipped because I didn't  especially feel like waiting two hours through lunch. For those that don't know permaculture is more using nature processes to produce food and work with nature than against it. It was a great time, I just wish I had some  land of my own to hit the ground running. I just can't commit, with the way land prices are on the area, as well as restrictions that are unappealing. ( septic, electric hookup). Almost as if it is a necessity. Solar and compost is all you need. (in theory). That was a fun time. The unexpected drive is what I enjoy. I stopped by a familiar spot in Castroville,TX, the lifesaver of a park(inside reference)- Castroville Regional Park. Enjoyed the Medina river and rapids along with it. I always wanted to visit Medina Lake and since I was in the area, I set the gps to take me to the "hill of contentment". No, that's the actual name- Hill of Contentment; aptly named I might add. If memory serves me correctly. Coming from Castroville, take FM 471 N and it magically turns in to CR 2615 . Your gonna wanna stay on this road until you see a bush that looks like George Washington. There will be a guy smoking a "tobacco" pipe on his front porch wearing a " I support Ron Paul shirt". If you see the retired admiral playing battleship in his above ground pool you've gone too far. Go past Paradise Canyon RV Park  and take a right on CR 271. This is a top drive in my book. A few water crossings and rushing creeks. I took a left on FM 1283 and drove down through the neighborhood of Pebble Beach in the City of Lakehills. The lake is kind of low but the water is as blue as ever. Avalon State Park has some great views along with a boat ramp. Heading back home I was in for a big surprise. As mentioned before I spotted a 2011 Chevy volt in San Marcos,tx a few weeks ago. I did not have my camera and they were leaving. So there I was driving down FM 1283 and I spotted the distinct tail end of the Volt. I maneuvered and took a hard left. Okay so I put my blinker on and coasted into the left turn. More like Fast and the Furious meets cheap and frugal. I had continued to follow the rockstar of the car world for 2011. About a mile down the road it had pulled in to a driveway and I pulled up by the side of the road. I asked the man (Don), if I could take a picture of his car and he let me get in and even opened the hood. He seemed very excited to talk about the car. He stated he has only filled it up once and he was one of the first Volts issued in December 2010 out of ATX. I knew the stats on the car, but wanted to get some real world numbers. 38 miles is what he averages with electric. HILL country mind you. Now that you lasted through this, you can interpret the pictures.